Monday, August 19, 2013

Avast Free Antivirus


avast! Free Antivirus is rated one of the best Windows security programs even among the paid versions. I had Norton Symantec Endpoint Protection 10.2 for years but as of July, 4, 2013 it was no longer updating or being supported.

On my other computers I have McAfee but it is a monster of a program and tends to slow things down. So I was looking for a lighter alternative on computer that I only use to play online games and check emails. avast! Free Antivirus seemed great and most of the online reviews were positive.



Installation was easy and the first thing it does was a quick scan. It also checked for out-of-date programs and found two which I updated. Unfortunately trying to automatically update one program did not work and I had to do it manually.


The third thing I did was run a full scan and it took less than 2 hours on my 60 GB drive. I thought it would be faster but it was the first time so maybe it will improve. I found nothing bad as I expected so I think it was worth it.

They have other free tools and internet security options but I will ignore most of those. They do try to install some Google toolbars but I just opted out so no big deal.

Overall this is a 90% program, while for a free program it is great I expected more with all the race review. Also it could have been lighter because sometimes I noticed a bit of lag when navigating the tabs on the avast! free antivirus interface.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...